Tuesday, December 04, 2012

Are you settled in yet?

That seems to be the popular question and the answer is no. 

It all happens in time, right?  We'll get there.  But I have no patience for it. 

Transition sucks. 
And only time makes it better.

Overall we're doing really well.  The kids love their schools and their new teachers and they are making new friends.  Bill started his new job and loves it.  Then comes me... for the first time in my adult life (other than maternity leave) I am unemployed.  I have always worked at least part-time.  I know... enjoy this time.  It's a blessing.  I know.  I have lots to do - unpacking, getting stuff organized, figuring out our life here, etc., etc.  It's a weird feeling. 

I had a panic attack in a couple of stores yesterday.  Why do they have to be so big and have so much stuff?  SO MANY OPTIONS!!  I don't need that many options.  It just confuses me and makes my heart beat fast and my breathing get shallow and quick.  Just give me a great cheese aisle, good fresh bread and I'm set. 

Yep, culture shock has hit me strong and surprised me.  It's ok.  It's normal.  I'll get better at it and things won't seem so strange after a month or two. 

What do I miss most?  Well currently it's my stuff.  Our crate still hasn't arrived.  It's stuck in St. Louis in customs.  Yuck!  I think that means they are opening it up and we are going to be paying big bucks for that inspection.

Other than being able to cook and eat on real dishes, I miss cheese - REAL cheese.  I'm on a hunt for the good stuff. 

Things are good though.  We are really happy to have family all around us.  We feel incredibly loved.  To watch your child snuggle into the arms of their grandparent and read together is one of the sweetest sights.  I am thankful. 

We are trying to follow where we think we're being led.  It's been quite a ride so far but a good one.  We are blessed.

No comments: